*** TAX COLLECTION NOTICE***
Notice is hereby given to the taxpayers of the Town of New Milford that the second installment of the Real Estate, and Personal Property taxes on the October 1, 2020 Grand List becomes due and payable on January 1, 2022
Also due on January 1st is the Supplemental Motor Vehicle tax (vehicles newly registered after October 1, 2020 and before September 30, 2021.)
Payment must be received or postmarked by February 1, 2022 to avoid an interest penalty. Per State Statute 12-146, interest will be charged at the rate of 1.5% per month from the original due date of January 1, 2022. The minimum interest charge is $2.00.
FAILURE TO RECEIVE A TAX BILL DOES NOT INVALIDATE THE TAX OR INTEREST.
For your convenience, taxes may be paid in the following ways:
- Mail - Current payments only during the collection period may be made directly to our Bank’s Lockbox Service at the following address: Town of New Milford, PO Box 150416, Hartford, CT 06115-0416.
Once delinquent, all mail must be sent to Tax Collector's Office, 10 Main Street, New Milford, CT 06776
- Partner Banks – Webster Bank and Savings Bank of Danbury New Milford branch locations will accept tax payments during business hours during the collection period. Only current tax bills and full payments are accepted. There is no charge for this service and you do not have to be a Webster Bank or Savings Bank of Danbury customer. Taxpayers interested in this option must bring the entire tax bill so that both the town and taxpayer portions can be stamped paid as a receipt. If you do not bring the entire bill the bank may not be able to process your payment!
- Taxpayer’s Bank – taxpayers can pay using their own financial institution’s ‘electronic bill pay’ service at their own risk. Payment must be received by the deadline or interest penalties will apply. To ensure timely payment delivery, taxpayers are encouraged to process their transaction at least 10 days before the due date to ensure timely delivery. If there is no postmark timeliness depends on receipt of the payment.
- Credit Card – payments can be made in person at the Town of New Milford’s Tax Collector’s office for a 2% surcharge. Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express are now accepted in person and also online.
- Online Payment – at www.newmilford.org. Pay by checking or savings account, the fee is only 50¢. Pay by debit/credit card the fee is 2.75%.
Note: Taxpayers with delinquent motor vehicle taxes that have been reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles will be assessed a $5 fee per name for processing reporting of the delinquency and payment.
Also - collection of delinquent bills is being handled by an attorney and collection agency. Timely payments are encouraged to avoid penalties or the possibility of your property being included in the next Tax Sale.
Please be advised that the Town of New Milford will use any enforcement tool available by Connecticut State Statute to pursue and collect on delinquent taxes.
Nancy E. McGavic, CCMC
Tax Collector, Town of New Milford
www.newmilford.org / 860-355-6085
Office Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday – Friday
Everything is subject to change due to the pandemic!