The Federal website for ordering  Free COVID test kits is up and running .   Click here go to the website to order.

In accordance with the CDC guidelines, as of now, masks will be required in all Town Municipal Buildings if you are under the age of 12 and unvaccinated.

BE IN THE KNOW --Click here to sign up for Town Alerts with Notify New Milford
MANTENTE INFORMADO --Haga clic aqui para suscribirse a las alertas de the ciudad con Notify New Milford

COVID-19 Update:
Visit for information about COVID-19 vaccines and testing.
PCR Covid Testing at JPCC Monday - Wednesday Friday & Saturday by appointment only. Click here for more information.
Looking to Volunteer?  If interested in volunteering, please email
If you need telephonic assistance, Connecticut’s Vaccine Appointment Assist Line is available at 877-918-2224, seven days a week from 8:00am to 8:00pm



Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is there a noise ordinance for the Town of New Milford?

Q: Can I apply for a Zoning permit online?
Yes, Zoning permit applications, special permit and site plan applications are now available through the Town of New Milford's online permitting system. 

Q: Are permits required for fences on residential properties?
No, the Zoning Department does not issue permits for fences.  There are no minimum setback requirements, however, fences shall not be placed in such a manner as to inhibit lines of sight or otherwise affect traffic safety. Razor wire and/or other similar types of hazardous fencing are prohibited in residential zones. Fences can not be over 8 ft in height.  Please contact the Building Department as they may require a permit for a fence.

Q: Am I allowed to have livestock on my residential property and how many animals are allowed?
A minimum of 3/4 of an acre of land is required for the first unit. For every additional 1/2 acre of land an additional unit is permitted.  There is no limitations for properties with five (5) or more acres.  A unit is defined as the following:
One (1) cow or horse
Three (3) llamas or similar ruminants
Two (2) young stock
Five (5) goats or sheep
Fifty (50) chickens 
Adequate fencing must be installed and maintained. Any building associated with the keeping or stabling of horses or livestock must be located at least 50’ to any property line.
The Zoning Department does not regulate the number of domestic animals (dogs, cats, etc.)

Q: When or for what do I need a Zoning permit?
Any exterior expansion or construction including, but not limited to, decks, gazebos, sheds, and pools; home occupations, use changes and any interior renovations that would add living space (ex: finished basement or attic). Please contact Zoning staff with the specifics for your project or complete an online Zoning permit application with a plot plan/survey/map of the property indicating the location of the structure/expansion to the Zoning Department for review.  A floor plan will need to be submitted with any interior renovations. 

Q: What is the fee for a Zoning permit?
The fee for a Zoning permit is based upon cost of construction for a project.

Q: How do I get a copy of a plot plan/survey/map for a certain property?
Contact or come into the Zoning Department during normal business hours with the street address of the property. If there is a map on file, Zoning staff can copy it for you. Please be advised that there is a $.50 fee per page for 8 1/2" x 11" copies, $1.00 fee per page for 11" x 17" copies and a $15.00 fee per map for full size map copies.  Full size map copies may take a day or two to process.

Q: What zone is my property located in?
Please email the Zoning office at or call the Zoning office at 860-355-6095, during normal business hours, with the specific street address or tax assessors map and lot number for the property and staff will provide you with the zone information.

Q: What are the setbacks for my property? 
Setbacks are determined by zone and the type and size of the structure you would like to build. Although there is a setback reference form on the Zoning webpage, it is recommended to consult with staff. Please have the street address, type of structure and the size of the structure available when contacting Zoning staff.

Q: Do I need a Zoning permit for a sign?
Yes, please refer to Chapter 145 for further information regarding the type and size of the sign you are permitted to have on your property or submit an online Zoning permit application.  A sign rendering and dimensions will need to be included with the online applications.

Q: Can I place a sign in the State Right of Way?
Please contact the State of Connecticut, D.O.T., as they would have to grant permission to have a sign on state property.

Q: If I am replacing an existing sign do I need a permit?
Yes, a sign permit will need to be issued for all new signs, including replacements or refacing.  Zoning sign permits can be applied for through the Town's online permitting system.

Q: Why or when would I need a zoning variance?
A variance may be needed when your proposed construction does not comply with Zoning regulations and adherence to the regulations causes unusual hardship to the land.  Before filing a variance application, a completed online Zoning application with project specifics will need to be submitted to the Zoning office for review to determine what section(s) of the regulations you would need relief from.

Q: Can I have an in-law apartment on my property?
Accessory apartments (often referred to as in-law apartments) are permitted by Special Permit approval by the Zoning Commission, subject to the conditions outlined in section 025-090 of the Zoning Regulations. Please contact zoning staff for more information.

Q: What type of business can I operate from my residence?
Please see section 025-070 of the Zoning Regulations or contact Zoning staff. 

Q: How do I file a Zoning complaint?
In order to investigate potential zoning violations, complaints must be submitted in writing to the Zoning Office. Complaint Forms are available on the Zoning Department's webpage or at the Zoning Office. Please provide as much detail as possible about the complaint, including where and when the potential violation can be observed.

Q: What can Zoning do about my neighbor's fence/shed/tree branches/garden on my property?
Nothing, these types of situations are considered civil matters and are not regulated by the Zoning Department.

 Q: In what zone can I operate my mobile food truck/hot dog cart?
Food vending trucks are not a permitted use on private property in any zone. A restaurant must be in a building and meet all applicable setback, parking, landscaping, lighting, drainage, etc. requirements. A vending truck/cart is not a building. Vending trucks/carts on public/municipal property are permitted by the Mayor's Office.