Social Services Department
New Milford Social Services Staff
- Ivana Butera, LMSW; Director
- Sarah Geary, MSW; Social Worker &Volunteer Coordinator
- Maria De Oliveira, MSW; Social Worker & Diverse Community Advocate
- Monika Roberts; Office Coordinator
To donate to Social Services' Emergency Funds, please click here. (Please include in "donation memo" your designation to a specific fund (Good Samaritan, Hope Fund, Food Bank, Fuel Bank, SNAP @ Farmers Market, Santa Fund) or indicate "for fund most in need". Click Here to read a description of the Emergency Funds utilized by NMSS and other ways to "Help New Milford Social Services" Thank you.
COVID-19 RESPONSE TO BASIC NEEDS:
PLEASE CLICK "HERE" For a list of resources to connect with help of basic needs such as Food, Financial Assistance, Senior Assistance.
Click here for more COVID Response COMMUNITY RESOURCES -Town information and State information
A message from Social Security Administration during time of COVID-19
New Milford Social Services assists residents with their social, emotional and economic needs. Services extend to helping people meet the basic human needs of food, shelter, clothing, and maintenance of health and well-being.
Income eligibility is determined by a professional social worker. Most programs require an interview with a staff person.
Proof of household income and residence in New Milford will be required. Please call for an appointment and a list of required documents. This department assists residents under age 60.
*Important Message*: Due to the concerns of COVID-19 we will be limiting in-person office visits until further notice. Staff will be available by phone and email to discuss needs and resources. In-person appointments will follow Town policy. New Milford residents can contact our office by phone or email. Our staff will continue to do our best to address your concerns and connect you to the most appropriate local, regional, and State resources. Thank you for your patience during this health crisis and trying time for our community.
-[To request the newsletter be sent to you via email, please contact Monika at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify your request and include your name and e-address.
What's Happening at NM Social Services!
HOLIDAY REGISTRATION is OPEN! Registration for Thanksgiving and Santa Fund is now open. Deadline to register is NOVEMBER 6th. Please bring your registration form and updated proof of income and residency to our office or email it to us. Please follow special instructions as our programs will look a bit different this year due to COVID 19. Registration Form / Inscripción al Programa Festivos
Attention SANTA FUND SPONSORS- if you would like to adopt a child for the Santa Fund gift program please email Megan at
* Changes to the New Milford Food Bank Distribution*:
The New Milford Food Bank is modifying distribution and will be following these changes until further notice.
- The New Milford Food Bank will be distributing pre-made bags of food on Thursdays from 9am-2pm as of March 26th for registered food bank participants.
- Distribution HAS MOVED INSIDE (into JPCC Cafeteria). Registered participants will still drive to the large parking area, by Parks & Rec side of the John Pettibone Community Center and follow the instructions of Food Bank volunteers and NMSS staff. Volunteers will invite a few participants in at a time, respecting CDC guidelines on social distancing and masks will be mandatory. Choices of shelf stable food, fresh produce, meat and dairy will be offered as available.
- If you are a current food bank participant and are sick or your household is in quarantine, please do not come by. Please contact our office to make other arrangements.
- If you are a Senior participant and cannot make it to the food bank, please contact the Senior Center at 860-355-6075.
- If you are a disabled participant and unable to come in, please contact our office at 860-355-6079.
- If you are NEW to the Food Bank and experiencing food insecurity due to life-changing circumstances arising from this health-crisis or any other financial crisis, please contact us before coming to the food bank. We welcome you at the food bank but please understand we need to speak with you first. We can be reached at 860-355-6079 or email@example.com.
These temporary changes to our distribution is an earnest effort to meet the needs of our food-insecure residents while minimizing health risks to all participants, volunteers, and staff. We hope to resume our regular procedures as soon as it is safely possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
"This institution is an equal opportunity provider"
2 Pickett District Road
New Milford, CT 06776
Phone: (860) 355-6079
Fax: (860) 355-6019
Office hours: *M-F 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (limited office hours on Fridays after 2:30pm) *see important message regarding office hours during COVID-19
[Archived Newsletters & Annual Reports]
Connect with your local State and Federal Representatives for COVID-19 information and alerts:
State Representative Bill Buckbee
US Representative Johanna Hayes
US Senator Chris Murphy
<ACTION ALERT>> “TO LISTEN, TO ADVOCATE, TO EMPOWER”
- Part of our mission is to encourage people to get informed, read, and learn about changes in policies that may affect one’s life, the life of their family or that of their neighbors and community.
If you know someone who has been helped by any health and human services programs and are worried about cuts or changes to programs, help them speak out. Make a call to your US Representative and Senator. Tell them their story- and yours!
Register to Vote: CT Voter Registration
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
State Senator Craig Miner 860-240-8800
State Representative Bill Buckbee 800-842-1423
White House Switchboard: 202-456-1414
US Representative Jahanna Hayes 202-225-4476
US Senator Chris Murphy 202-224-4041
US Senator Richard Blumenthal 202-224-2823
(you will speak to one their aides, and they will get your message to our representative)