Fire Marshal's Office
PLEASE COMPLETE & EMAIL OR FAX US YOUR UPDATED BUILDING CONTACT INFO FORM
VISIT OUR OFFICE ON FACEBOOK TOO! Type in New Milford Fire Marshal's Office & "LIKE" us! Lots of timely tips/articles!
- Fire Marshal - Brian Ohmen
- Deputy Fire Marshal - Kevin Reynolds
- Part Time Secretary - Donna Talarico
Please call our office for an appointment to guarantee we are available.
Welcome to the Town of New Milford's Fire Marshal's Office home page. It is the mission of the New Milford, CT Fire Marshal's Office to provide professional life safety protection and reduce the harm associated with fires, explosions and mechanical failures to the citizens of the Town of New Milford through risk assessment and prevention programs, education and investigation as regulated by applicable Connecticut State Laws.
We hope this internet resource assists you and better supports some of our services. Please advise us if something does not totally serve your needs so that we may enhance our website. Also, please be sure to check back regularly as the internet offers tremendous opportunities and we will routinely be adding and changing content.
• Enforce CT General Statute Chapter 541 as well as numerous codes that are promulgated under the provision of the statutes.
• Inspect all buildings & facilities of public service & occupancies regulated by the Connecticut State Fire Safety Code. The CSFSC covers all occupancies except 1 and 2 family dwellings & premises used in manufacturing. Inspections include fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, storage of hazardous materials, certificate of occupancy inspections & code consultations.
• Notify the Labor Commission of fire hazards found in manufacturing establishments.
• Enforce statutes regulating the installation & use of space heaters.
• Enforce CT Flammable & Combustible Liquids regulations, including inspecting all flammable & combustible liquid storage tanks, all cargo tank vehicles & dispensing facilities (e.g. gasoline stations).Provide safety tips & advice to the general public.
• Assist the general public and businesses with emergency and pre-incident fire plans and fire exit drills.
- Investigate cause, origin & circumstance of all fires, to determine if there is commission of a crime and to determine product safety issues and areas upon which to concentrate fire prevention education.
- Issue permits for use, transportation & storage of explosives in compliance with State Explosive Regulations.
- Investigate complaints concerning explosives.
- Inspect explosive storage magazines.
- Spot-check all job sites where explosives are being used.
- Inspect the removal of underground fuel storage tanks.
- Inspect all dry cleaning & dry dyeing establishments.
- Conduct site inspections of tents & portable structures for compliance with fire safety regulations.
- Conduct review of plans & specifications for various occupancies & facilities being proposed or renovated within the Town for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Code.
- Upon receiving a complaint, inspect 1 and 2 family dwellings to assure statutory requirements regarding smoke detection & warning equipment are satisfied.
- All local fire marshals are also required to attend schools and seminars to keep abreast of the code, regulations and new technology. They are required to maintain ninety (90) hours of continuing education credit over a three (3) year period as well as be certified by the State Fire Marshal.
Fire Marshal Office Wish List
Your Support is Greatly Appreciated As We Continue to Keep the Community Safe
1) New 9V batteries & smoke detectors are always welcome so that we can make sure as many households are safe as possible from fire.
2) New Milford has a need for ADA compliant, visual and vibrating alert smoke detectors for hearing impaired persons, many of whom are on fixed incomes. These detectors cost $150 to $200 each and are vitally important to those with diminished hearing.
3) Donations are always welcomed to fund Fire Prevention Week activities held in October, including prizes, food, balloons, printing, and monetary contributions.
Smoke Detector Batteries
Please remember to change your smoke detector batteries twice yearly. We recommend doing this in the Fall and Spring at each time change.
For comments regarding the Fire Marshal website please email email@example.com
10 Main Street New Milford, CT 06776
Office located on Second Floor of Town Hall
Office hours: 8:00am to 4:30pm
For added convenience, Saturday inspections may be available from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Please call during regular office hours to make arrangements.
Business Owners: The Fire Marshal's Office can assist you with safety planning, such as fire drills, how to use a fire extinguisher and the proper placement of smoke/carbon detectors.